Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Mise En Place

Mise en place, simply means "everything in place" in French.  In terms of cooking ,that means to prep all ingredients before cooking up the dish. That was exactly what I did today, putting everything in place. I diced 5 cups of onions, 4 cups of celery, mushrooms, and cubed a pound of bread.


f/4, 1/80, ISO 1600



That was not half of the things I put in place today.

This beast almost became the nightmare. Almost.

f/5, 1/60, ISO 1600


After chopping for an hour, I had the hardest time "de-winging" the bird. I looked through Joy of Cooking and various YouTube videos. Let's just say it was not a pleasant experience holding a bird's wings for a period of time. But it I did it. After three hours of reducing and reducing, I finally got some awesome turkey stock for stuffing tomorrow.

f/4.8, 1/50, ISO 1600 


Wait, there's more to my day than "de-winging".
Fresh cranberry sauce and mashed sweet potato. Yummmooo!

f/5, 1/20, ISO 1600


Although this may seem like a lot of work and time in the kitchen, I love it. I like being busy and feeling like I am the master of this little corner of mine. I conquered the turkey wings today, wait till you see tomorrow's dinner.

Happy Pre-Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It