Monday, October 1, 2012

Butternut Squash Sage Soup




It's fall!! I love this time of the year when the weather isn't cold enough that I don't want to go outside, but cool enough for comfort food. Another reasons to celebrate fall, pumpkin picking/carving and watching Nightmare Before Christmas. Recently I became obsessed with this super easy pumpkin pudding, although I wish I have more time to make the real stuff.  I was pretty excited that I got a butternut squash from CSA, along with a bunch of sage. I have only used fresh sage on Thanksgiving turkey as a spice rub. A quick search on butternut squash + sage gave me lots of recipes, apparently these two are a great combination together.

f/3.2, 1/80, ISO 560, +0.3EV


By the way, remember my photo trouble from last week? After a couple days of panicking and frantic googling, I downloaded this free program that is specifically designed to recover lost files. I got majority of my pictures back, pre-edited and edited. Some pictures are just lost forever. I am still sorting through another 1800+ pictures.

Mental note, back up all pictures and files.
Repeat, back up everything.


f/3.2, 1/80, ISO 500, +0.3EV

f/3.5, 1/80, ISO 1000, +0.3EV


This soup came out thick and creamy-like without using heavy cream, and the sage favor blends in perfectly. Best serve with a thick slice of homemade bread.

Tomorrow I begin another community nutrition rotation at WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) of Huntington, I have been anxious to see what it would be like. More on my dietetics adventure later this week.

Soup's on!



f/3.5, 1/80, ISO 560, +0.3EV

Butternut Squash Sage Soup
Recipe adapted from Epicurious.com

1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
4 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled seeded butternut squash
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
1 garlic clove, minced
5 to 6 cups vegetable stock
 
1. Melt butter with oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, parsley, and sage; sauté until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. 
2. Add squash and coarse salt; sauté until squash softens and onions are golden, about 6 minutes. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. 
3. Add 5 cups stock; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until squash is very soft, about 25 minutes. Cool slightly.
Working in batches, puree soup in blender, allowing some texture to remain. Return soup to pot. Thin with stock, if desired. Season with pepper and more salt, if desired. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It