Sunday, January 30, 2011

Thoroughbred Park: Telling A Story

Besides finding the best aperture, shutter speed, setting etc, I think the hardest part about photography is how to photograph an object. Before the fancy Nikon, I used to just point-and-shoot anything and everything that catches my eyes. Most of the time, these photos look "lifeless". How do I capture something without ruining its purpose and story?

Sunday morning I took Lola to Thoroughbred Park in downtown Lexington. It's a small park with life-size bronze horses and commemorative plaques of important people in Kentucky history. While I enjoyed the perfect sunlight and photography opportunities, Lola on the other hand did not know how to deal with these large size creatures surrounding her. She barked and barked at the motionless and scentless horses. She snarled her little canine teeth but the horses would not move. I wonder why.

Thoroughbred Park.

f/22, 1/125, ISO 400


f/22, 1/100, ISO 400

Here they come.

f/22, 1/60, ISO 400

f/22, 1/60, ISO 400


Yeeee-Ha!
f/5, 1/1000, ISO 400



Giddy-up!
f/9, 1/250, ISO 200



I wish I had focused the horses in the back instead of the foot.
 f/5, 1/1250, ISO 400

Ponies at play.

f/5, 1/640, ISO 200

How do you do, Miss?

f/5, 1/800, ISO 200

In the end, it's all good.

 f/22, 1/60, ISO 200

I did learn today that if I make the subject the majority of the picture (i.e. take up most of the scene), the subject seems stand out more. Sounds simple but it took me this long to figure out. I wanted to make the horses look alive like how Lola saw them. It's a work in progress. At least I finally got pictures of some horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It