Thursday, March 24, 2011

Just Flash A Little

I have never been a big fan of flash, mostly because I want to learn how to adjust the camera setting to fit the light source I am given. Also, I feel that flash "kills" the scene like deer in the headlight.

In this case, Lola in the headlight.
f/5, 1/60, ISO 1600

However, flash can be great when the lighting is poor and your subject is in the move. I learned to adjust the amount of light that emits in the flash. On my Nikon, there is a lightning bolt button left and I press that down along with a plus and minus button on the right side. Meanwhile I adjust the dial on the right side. Lots of fancy finger works.
Picture from geek.com

Here's one with reduced flash light. Not my ideal picture, but it will do for now.
f/5, 1/60, ISO 1600

During my visit to Nashville, I experimented with flash on a cloudy day.

f/22, 1/40, ISO 200

With flash and I kind of like this better. The building outlines and color seem to be more defined.
f/22, 1/60, ISO 200

f/6.3, 1/1000, ISO 200

With flash...yikes!
f/6.3, 1/200, ISO 200, with flash

It's still a work in progress for me. Sometimes, I should just try flashing a little...I mean with my camera.
Pin It