Monday, March 28, 2011

Kentucky Horse Park

This weekend I had some visitors from Wisconsin for the weekend. I love having guests because I got to eat at new restaurants and visit new places. We started the weekend with a trip to the Kentucky Horse Park. Although the weather was not cooperating (a chilling 30 degrees), we did get our eyes full of horse. You can learn everything and anything you want to know about horses. I finally understood the difference between a thoroughbred (race horses, think Secretariat) and a saddlebred (show horse). Then among those two I mentioned, there are numerous of breeds. Almost all horses foaled (born, that is in horse terminology) can be traced back to another horse 100+ years ago. I know, the horse biz is very complicated. Just as complicated as my camera, half of the pictures I took in the Kentucky Horse Park were blurry. I am not sure how I could screw that up.

The Hall of Champions parade was my favorite. The horses were beautiful and magnificent. These horses made an average of $2.5 million from races alone, then their "seeds" were also sold for more $$$$.

Da Hoss and his caretaker.
f/5.3, 1/500, ISO 900

f/5.6, 1/500, ISO 1250

f/5.3, 1/320, ISO 400

f/5.3, 1/400, ISO 400

Then the rest of my pictures turned out like these:
f/4.5, 1/25, ISO 1600, +0.3EV

f/4.5, 1/5, ISO 1600, +0.3EV

f/5.3, 1/30, ISO 3200

f/22, 1/60, ISO 400

Dark faces and blurry....what am I doing wrong here? The museum had sufficient light source but I did not set my camera accordingly. It's a constant dilemma for me. It is hard being a photographer. There is so many detail to consider to produce a good picture.

Maybe this trolley horse had something to say. Is it harder being a photographer or a horse?
f/7.1, 1/50, ISO 400
Pin It