Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup


f/2.5, 1/250, ISO 2200


One of my favorite things about Fall is making egg noodles for chicken noodle soup. Who would ever think that chicken noodle soup is the go-to comfort food when it's raining and cold outside or for those with the cold. I got my noodle maker two Christmases ago, and it only appears on the kitchen counter once or twice a year. It's hard to weight out whether I should go with the fun and flavor of homemade noodles or the 99 cents pasta in the grocery store. Usually the cheap pasta wins.



f/2.5, 1/250, ISO 3200

f/2.5, 1/250, ISO 1600


I learned how to make noodles from Jake's grandmother. It was at her house and the whole noodle making process took 4 hours, including 2 hours of euchre in between. According to Jake's grandmother, the noodles needed to be "leathery" before they can be cooked in salty salty water.

Two hours of euchre while waiting for the noodle to dry up to "leathery" texture was actually enjoyable. Since moving to Lexington, Jake and I have not had much chance to be with our family. It was a day and a delicious meal that I would not trade anything for. Every year, I love the fun of making noodle with Jake.

f/2.5, 1/250, ISO 1100

f/2, 1/250, ISO 1000


I have always admired home cooks who would spend the time and effort chopping up onion, celery, and carrots, and dealing with chicken bones and scrapes to make the essence of kitchen: chicken stock. Smitten kitchen recently wrote a post on chicken noodle stock and I drooled over the perfect looking chick stock. For 1) I don't have a stock pot or enough storage space in my small apartment-issued refrigerator, and 2) dealing with bone-in chicken is not my forte.

Regardless, I will take any chance to make homemade noodles.  This noodle recipe seems easy, and there are probably thousands of the same kind on allrecipe.com, but this one is closest to my heart. Especially with a bowl of chicken soup.

f/2, 1/250, ISO 1250

f/2.2, 1/250, ISO 1600


Homemade Noodles

2.5 cups all purpose flour
3 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons water

1. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
2. Mix until combine, add more water or flour as needed until a dough is formed.
3. Divide dough into equal parts, large enough to go through the noodle maker. Make noodle according to noodle maker instructions.
4. Boil water in a large stock pot with plenty of salt. Add noodle and boil until cooked, about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It