Friday, November 23, 2012

Turkey Day 2012 - II

After following to my week of carefully-planned and elaborate Thanksgiving meal, the dinner was a success. The week started with preparing the essentials and endless mise en place.

DSC_8021


This was the first year I brined the turkey. The brine consisted of rosemary, thyme, sage, apple cider. Then of course, the fundamental of any brine, kosher salt, sugar, and water.

DSC_8012


The science behind brining is tricky, there should be equal parts of salt and sugar, and the amount of water should be enough to cover the bird without diluting the brine. This birdie sat in the brine for 24 hours before I roasted it. The work was worth it.


DSC_8030


I began preparing for the feast starting Tuesday. Everything homemade from cranberry sauce to two types of pies, cranberry-pear and pumpkin. Yes, it was a lot of work and timing, but the taste afterwards and hearing the "hmmm and ahhhs" after the initial bites was well worth the effort. 

DSC_8025

DSC_8037


The bird came out perfect, golden browned and juicy.

DSC_8031DSC_8038


The feast included brussel sprouts with bacon, wild rice with cranberry and walnut dressing, Parmesan asparagus, homemade yeast roll, cranberry sauce, and rosemary roasted potato.

DSC_8042




The night included second and third trip back to the food, and 2 pieces of pies. 

I love hosting dinner parties, especially Thanksgiving. My tiny round dining table in my little apartment sits 4 people, and somehow I fitted 6 people around the table. I sat on an exercise ball and Jake sat on a fold-up camping chair, while our guests sat on the dining chairs. Regardless, I was thankful for the opportunity to cook and my guests. One of these days, I will have matching dining set, servewares, and a large dinning table for more Thanksgiving feasts to come.
DSC_8044

See this post for all recipes

1 comment:

Pin It