Monday, November 26, 2012

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancake

DSC_8080

I have a new addiction this fall season.

It's pumpkin.

DSC_8075


I can't seem to get enough of it.

Since fall season started, I have made numerous pumpkin pudding, pumpkin pies, pumpkin oatmeal, and now pumpkin pancake. Something about this vibrant orange color vegetable and its subtle sweetness that capture my taste buds this year. I wish I have the time and effort to make homemade pumpkin puree all the time. Canned pumpkin always tastes....tasteless. The canned pumpkin mix tastes even worse, trust me, I accidentally bought a can once.


DSC_8073

This recipe calls for 1 cup of pumpkin puree, which works well since I had half of a large can of pumpkin puree in the refrigerator.

I love the cinnamon, ginger, and other spices that goes in this pancake batter. The pancakes taste like pumpkin pie, and they are even better with warm (real!) maple syrup and a mug of hot black coffee. Hmmm...this is why I love breakfast food. Brinner, anyone?


DSC_8079 


Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancake
Makes 8-10 pancakes
(Recipe adapted from New South Food Company)

1.5 cups Whole wheat flour
1.5 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
4 teaspoon Pumpkin Spice (Or 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 1/4 teaspoon allspice, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg)
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup Milk
1 cup Pumpkin Puree
1 Egg
2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

1. In a bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice and salt. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake and spread out with a spoon. Wait till large bubbles start to appear in the middle and flip. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
3. Serve warm with real maple syrup.

1 comment:

  1. I love pumpkin too and have a whole bunch of roasted pumpkin in the fridge. Think I'll make these for breakfast tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It