Monday, May 23, 2011

Shutter Speed, Part II

In my first shutter speed post I talked about how I prefer setting aperture as priority over shutter speed. Well while I was in the Smoky Mountains, I got to experiment more with shutter speed. We visited Laurel Falls, which was a 1.7 miles hike up a few hundred feet of altitude. There were other SLR-camera-photographers who carried tripods up the trail just to capture Laurel Falls. I was not prepared to carry my tripod up the hill, and also I forgot to pack it for the trip.


f/4.5, 1/60, ISO 400


f/22, 1/1.6, ISO 400


In order to get the cool smoky effect in the second picture, the shutter speed should set as slow (1/1.6 vs 1/60). Slow shutter speed blurs moving subjects while fast shutter speed "freezes" motion. Your camera should automatically auto adjust the appropriate aperture.


f/5.6, 1/125, ISO 400


f/32, 1/1.6, ISO 400

 However, slow shutter speed = shutter stays open longer = camera shake if you do not have a tripod. I had to find stable objects to set my camera on while taking slower shutter speed pictures. In the first set of pictures, I used the branches on the side and the second set I used the side mirror of our car.


f/22, 1/4, ISO 400



f/4.5, 1/30, ISO 400

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It