Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Shutter Speed

There are four ways to adjust the settings on a SLR: manual, aperture, shutter speed, and program. You can choose either of the above and the rest will adjust itself. I always uses aperture because I find it easier to understand. When I find the aperture I want, the camera automatically adjusts the shutter speed according the light it senses. So while I was in Keeneland on Sunday, I decided to experiment with shutter speed.

By choosing shutter speed as the priority setting, the camera will select the appropriate aperture that will produce the optimal exposure. Faster shutter speeds like 1/2500 will "freeze" moving objects while slower shutter speeds like 1/10 will create a blurry look. Notice how the pictures I took from the horse races were kind of blurry? You see, I tried to change the shutter speed to as fast as possible but this also means there's less time for light to enter the camera and therefore darker picture.

f/5.6, 1/1250, ISO 100

f/5.6, 1/1250, ISO 100

Even though I took both pictures on a bright and sunny day, they still came out looking dark. But I was able to capture the motion.

I adjusted the shutter speed so I would get the best light. Somewhat blurry.
f/11, 1/100, ISO 400

Then I tried the "Sports" setting on my camera. The ISO changed to 400 and I could get a better freeze motion picture with fast shutter speed. Slightly better.
f/5.6, 1/1250, ISO 400

f/6.3, 1/1600, ISO 400

Hmmmm....what a dilemma I have here. I am not sure what else to do, perhaps changing the ISO to a higher number or adding flash?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It