Thursday, June 30, 2011

The American Flag

In one of my earlier posts, I talked about using large aperture setting (i.e. small f/ number)and low ISO on bright sunny days. This sounded like a good plan, but I found out it's not quite true. While I was at Old Fort Harrod, I played around with the settings. Here is an example:


At f/4.
Yikes! Washed out sky.

f/4, 1/800, ISO 200

At f/9.
Hmmm...doesn't seem to be better.
f/9, 1/125, ISO 200

At f/22.
Somewhat better but I couldn't capture the flag in motion because of the slow shutter speed.
f/22, 1/30, ISO 200

Different angle at f/4. Too dark.
f/4, 1/3200, ISO 200


This is probably the best I got that day.

f/10, 1/320, ISO 200

It's a delicate balance between the aperture and the amount of light you get. With larger aperture, the camera opening is also larger, hence, more light enters in. Meanwhile, the shutter speed adjusts with the aperture and could affect the end results. Ah, so many things to considered!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It