Thursday, September 20, 2012

Creamy Chicken Salad

f/4, 1/60, ISO 720, +0.3EV


This week I started Nutrition Education Program rotation, which means I teach MyPlate to school children. This program is run by Marshall University dietetics department and the focus is to teach nutrition to young kids. This week I taught the grain lesson to second graders. My nutrition education experience has always been with adults. It turns out I absolutely love teaching children! I felt so comfortable standing in front a group of children. Every student in the classroom is eager to see what I have for them. As I showed them plastic whole wheat bread and pasta and read them a book on breads, they loved it.

f/4, 1/80, ISO 1250, +0.3EV


When I asked how much exercise we need a day, some said 20 hours, 30 days, or even 60 days. If only we could take off days from work and exercise for 60 days.

School started mid-August, and so far I have yet to buy lunch meat (!!). Instead I had to get creative with what to make on weekends for lunch rest of the week. The only reason I never made chicken salad before was because of the smell of poached chicken. One of those weird food dislike I have, and I am not sure why. Probably because it just smells like meat. Canned chicken is out of the question, but I decided to give it a try.

f/4, 1/60, ISO 720, +0.3EV

I replaced halfof the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt and added extra veggies.

Hmm...yumm definitely worth the "boiled chicken" smell.


f/4, 1/60, ISO 720, +0.3EV

Creamy Chicken Salad

2 pounds chicken breast, trimmed, no thicker than 1-inch
1/2 cup sweet bell peppers, chopped finely
1/2 cup celery, diced finely
1/3 cup craisin
1 shallot, chopped finely
1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Submerge chicken breast in 6 cups of water in a dutch oven. Turn on stove to medium high. Let water reach to boil, turn off heat, and cover pot. Wait for 15 to 20 minutes. Check the temperature of the thickest part of breast, chicken is done at 165 degrees. Bring water back to boil if temperature has not reached 165 degrees. Once chicken is cooked, remove from water and place on paper towel. Let chicken cool for 30 minutes.
2. Combine Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, and Dijon mustard in a large mixing bowl. Add in vegetables.
3. Chopped chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. Toss chicken in mixing bowl with mayonnaise mix.
4. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, Jenn! Sometimes I make my chicken in the crockpot...though then it ends up being shredded...but I don't have to deal with it much (and I think it smells better).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a great idea! Oh and awesome job on the half-marathon this weekend!!

      Delete

Pin It