Monday, September 17, 2012

Roasted Chickpeas

f/4.5, 1/250, ISO 125


The last couple weekends in Lexington, I attended Danville BBQ Festival and Greek Festival in Lexington. It was almost like being in food heaven (if only I get free food!), but my stomach did not agree with me. I was not a BBQ person until I moved to Lexington, and I am a bit embarrassed to say that I have ate at Billy's Bar-B-Q more times than any other restaurants. I was impressed with the quality of BBQ meat at the festival, I love my pulled pork sandwich from Lucky Dog BBQ. Although the BBQ sauce was a bit too sweet for me. Yes, that's those dangerously-super-deep-fried potato chips you see there. I can't resist any crunchy and salty food.

f/4.5, 1/250, ISO 100


My BBQ food chow was followed by Greek Festival this past Saturday at the Red Mile Clubhouse. Funny how no matter what culture or country of origin, people always gather around food. Naturally, I was drawn to good food. I had the lamb platter with rice and spanakopita. Jake had the gyro, which was delicious. However, the baklava was the best of all. I also tried kataifi, a heavenly honey and nut dessert, for the first time.


f/3.2, 1/100, ISO 200, +0.3EV

f/3.2, 1/100, ISO 250, +0.3EV


A lot of eating.

Speaking of crunchy food earlier. I came across this roasted chickpeas recipe a couple weeks ago. This has became my new addiction.
The recipe is very simple. However, the prepping takes a while. The recipe requires the chickpea skins to be removed before roasting them. I have yet to figure out a quicker way to do this. I read somewhere you could boil the chickpeas for a few minutes until the skins become loosen.

f/4, 1/60, ISO 900, +0.3EV


These "skinless" chickpeas took me 40 minutes as I was removing skin one chickpea at a time.
Totally worth the lengthy preparation time.

f/4, 1/60, ISO 2500, +0.3EV






Roasted Chickpeas

2 (15.5-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1 garlic clove, minced



  1. Preheat oven to 300°.
  2. Remove skins from chickpeas. Combine chickpeas and remaining ingredients. Arrange on a baking sheet. Bake at 300° for 1 hour and 40 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It