Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Homemade Peanut Butter

f/32, 1/125, ISO 900, +0.3EV
 

Peanut butter, one of many essential food staples in Americans' kitchen. Oddly, it was not until I was in high school that I first tried peanut butter. Towards the end of my college years that I began to stock peanut butter in my pantry. Don't feel sorry for me that I missed out on years of peanut butter, I had plenty (and not enough!) of home-cooked Chinese food during those sans-peanut butter time.


f/4, 1/60, ISO 1250, +0.3EV


For a while I love the peanut butter-churning machine at Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe's, but due to convenience I have always bought the brand name jar in grocery store. Big, big taste difference there between the commercially packed peanut butter and churn-as-you-go peanut butter. I love looking at these fun peanut butter flavor from Peanut Butter & Co. If I had to try one, it would have to be Mighty Maple. Yum and yum. But rather than $6 a jar, I think I will try making my own peanut butter.


f/4, 1/60, ISO 3200, +0.3EV


Homemade Peanut Butter

1 pound shelled, skin-removed, unsalted peanuts
1 tablespoon peanut oil (or more for spreadable consistency)
1 tablespoon honey or pure maple syrup

1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Place peanuts on a large jelly roll pan. Roast peanuts for 20 minutes or until fragrant and slightly browned.
2. Let peanuts cool for 30 minutes. Put peanuts in a food processor, process continuously for 4 minutes or until become smooth. Add peanut oil and honey/maple syrup during processing.
3. Enjoy!

f/3.2, 1/135, ISO 720, +0.3EV



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It