Thursday, August 30, 2012

It's Lunch Time! - Part II


"We Are Marshalls!"


It has been three weeks since I moved to Huntington, time flies! This week I began the dietetic internship rotations at a local diabetes center. I shadow with a dietitian while she does diabetes education and counseling. The first few days have been interesting, especially learning about the patient population and what problems they have in managing their diabetes. It's more than counting carbohydrates and insulin injections, a lot of the counseling have to do with psychological and family issues.



A while ago I talked about my dilemma with what to have for lunch. Now that I am busy with internship stuff and Jake is back to school, we needed some lunch ideas besides sandwiches with deli meat and cheese. Whenever I think about the amount of deli meat (a pound a week!) we went through last year, it kind of scares me. I can't stand to think about all the unnatural ingredients that goes into processed food. I guess that's what happens when you are in the food and nutrition field. I want something quick, no heating involved, and fulfilling.

Sandwiches are still my go-to lunch item, except now I replace meat with avocado, tomato slices, and crumbled feta. Yum yum...

f/3.2, 1/160, ISO 1100


Last week for lunch I made a batch of tuna salad, and this week I got creative with the CSA vegetables and made couscous salad. As crazy as it sounds (especially being in nutrition and all), I have never had quinoa before. I can't find a bag of quinoa with decent price at the grocery stores and I have not had the time to venture out to health stores.

f/3.2, 1/160, ISO 1100

I see magazines with pretty pictures of neatly packed and veggie-filled lunch ideas. Realistically, how many people actually have the time and effort to put together lunch like that everyday.

What are some easy lunch ideas you have?



Couscous Salad

1/2 cup chopped cherry tomato
1/2 cup diced cucumber
1/2 cup diced sweet green bell pepper
1/2 cup diced sweet red bell pepper
1/4 cup diced sweet red onion
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup feta cheese
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups dried couscous
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Cook couscous according to package direction
2. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk olive oil and lemon juice together, add into mixture.
3. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It