Thursday, August 2, 2012

Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

Growing up, banana was a staple food at my home. This was because my dad would have a banana after breakfast, another banana after lunch, and one more banana after dinner. His reason was that if athletes eat banana in-between and after workouts (his example would be: the most common athlete-banana combination can be found in tennis matches) then banana must be a super charge food. True. Except these athletes probably have just one banana a day. My dad also thinks that the best bananas are those covered in brown spots and in shades of dark yellow. The more spots, the better. Hence, before my sister and I could escape from the dinner table after meal time, a banana would magically appear before us. "Eat your banana, it's good for you", as my dad would say. Even when Jake stayed at my parents' house for the first time, he was offered a banana after every meal.


f/3.5, 1/60, ISO 1600, +0.3EV


This banana saga continued until I moved away to college. I stayed away from banana for the next few years. I began eating banana about two years ago, never more than one banana a day. Jake on the other hand, prefers green banana. He claimed that the greener the better, while those spotty ones that my dad prefers are "spoiled".

The bananas in my fruit tray are usually like this:

f/3.5, 1/60, ISO 1600, +0.3EV



That leaves me a) eat the mushy, overripe, and spotty bananas that remind me of childhood, b) throw the bananas away even though I hate wasting food, c) make something with the bananas.

I usually choose option a) then realize I can't carry on with it, so move onto plan c)


f/2.5, 1/160, ISO 1600, +0.3EV

No more gross banana. Now, I may have a slice of this banana bread after every meal.

f/3.2, 1/60, ISO 400

Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Bread

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups mashed ripe banana
1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2  cup walnuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Combine chocolate chips and walnuts (if using) in a small bowl, add 1 tablespoon flour mixture and toss to coat.
3. Combine sugar and yogurt in a separate bowl. Add in eggs, mashed banana, and vanilla. Add in flour mixture, stir until just combined.
4. Pour batter into a 9x5x2.5-inch loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack, remove from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It