Friday, August 10, 2012

Whole Wheat Strawberry Ricotta Scones

I love it when during the summer fruits are always on super sale at the grocery store. Although not quite the taste of fresh-picked fruits, I am definitely getting the daily recommended fruits servings. Except when I go overboard buying too much fruits at the grocery, in addition to getting a watermelon and a cantaloupe from CSA. Luckily I found this recipe from Smitten Kitchen to use up the extra box of strawberries. Strawberry scones and tea, perfect for Olympics watching snack.

f/2.5, 1/50, ISO 1600, +0.3EV


Tomorrow I am moving some of my things to Huntington, West Virginia before starting my dietetic internship on next Wednesday. It seemed like ages ago when I found out I got the internship. Moving away is a bittersweet moment for me. Jake is staying in Lexington due to his job while I (and Lola) will be driving back and forth on the Mountain Parkway every weekend. Yet, this internship is an important step for my career goal to become a dietitian.

f/2.5, 1/125, ISO 1600, +0.3EV

f/2.5, 1/200, ISO 1600, +0.3EV


I had some reserves when I moved to Lexington one and half years ago. But this city has grown on me with its unique horse-centered culture and slight touch of Southern charm. I hope to be back after 10 months. Meanwhile, I will keep blogging about my internship experiences, culinary adventures, and Huntington exploring.

f/2.5, 1/100, ISO 1600, +0.3EV

f/2.5, 1/320, ISO 1600, +0.3EV


Whole Wheat Strawberry Ricotta Scones
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen


1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder, preferably aluminum-free
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon table salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1 cup fresh strawberries (or other fruits of your liking)
3/4 cup ricotta
1/3 cup milk (use heavy cream for extra flavor)

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Use a large, wide-ish bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, sugar and salt together.
2. With a pastry blender, add the butter (no need to chop it first) and use the blender to both cut the butter into the flour mixture until the biggest pieces are the size of small peas. Toss in strawberries.
3. Add the ricotta and milk together and stir them in to form a dough and well combined. Using your hands, gently knead dough into an even mass, right in the bottom of the bowl.
4. With as few movements as possible, transfer the dough to a well-floured counter, flour the top of the dough and pat it into a flat circle about 1/2-inch tall. With a large knife (or biscuit cutter), divide the dough into 12 even squares. Transfer the scones to prepared baking sheet with a spatula.
5. Bake the scones for about 15 minutes, until lightly golden at the edges. Cool in pan for a minute, then transfer to a cooling rack.
6. Enjoy with tea and fresh jam!


 Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It