Spinach salad (from CSA) with green apples, walnuts, and olives.
|f/3.5, 1/30, ISO 1600, +0.3EV|
Grilled cheese with sautee zucchini on whole wheat bread
|f/3.5, 1/50, ISO 1600, +0.3EV|
A few weeks ago, Jake and I watched "Forks Over Knifes", a documentary that examines the idea that plant-based diet can control chronic diseases. I was eating pretty much a plant-based diet with meat once a week, until I started cooking for two. After seeing the movie (along with "Food, Inc" from a few months ago), we decided to change some rules on food and dining.
- Eat less meat: By starting Meatless Mondays and another meatless day during the week.
- Eat out less: We are doing pretty good on this one already, on average we eat out once a week. We need to be more conscious about ordering more healthy meals in restaurants.
- Eat everything in our weekly CSA (even collard greens)
- Eat at the dinner table: Our favorite TV shows usually get us here
- Eat less packaged food: Cold cereal is going to be a hard one
- Drink less soda: I'm having a hard time implementing this one, since someone loves soda and claims that diet soda is harmless. It's more the habit of drinking soda than the artificial sweeteners that gets me.
- Practice mindful eating
What food rules do you live by?