Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Blueberry Cobbler with Cornmeal Biscuits

f/4, 1/30, ISO 800, +0.3EV



On Monday Jake and I went to our favorite Reed Valley Orchard, we picked five and half of blueberries and ate about a pound or more of blueberries each. It was a lot of blueberries, but I loved it!


f/4.5, 1/400, ISO 100


Continuing with my summer list, I picked enough blueberries to make all the dessert I want and make enough jam.
Here is my list for blueberry recipes:
- Cobbler (done!)
- Jam (done!)
- Pancakes
- Muffins
- Yogurt parfait (done!)

Imagine the possibilities if I had two of these blueberry bushes.

f/3.2, 1/40, ISO 1600, +0.3EV


Homemade jam in half-pint jars and pretty bows = pretty presents. Jake and I were thinking of giving jams in 4 ounce jars as our wedding favors. That would be quite a production in our tiny apartment kitchen.

f/3.2, 1/60, ISO 1600, +0.3EV


Today I am having trouble with the lighting in the kitchen. The fluffy cornmeal biscuits look overexposed and the blueberry sauce looks like black tar. I took more than 40 pictures for this post. I am having a bad photography day, at least my hair is nice. (haha!)

The pictures don't do justice because this cobbler is delicious. I used only 1/4 cup of sugar, which enhances the taste of blueberry natural sweetness. While the sweet cornmeal biscuits make perfect complement to the juice blueberries.

f/3.2, 1/30, ISO 1600, +0.3EV

f/3.2, 1/50, ISO 1600, +0.3EV


Blueberry Cobbler with Cornmeal Biscuits

Filling:
 1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons corn starch
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups blueberries
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Cornmeal Biscuits:
1.25 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup fine cornmeal
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
2. Combine all filling ingredients in a mixing bowl. Toss gently to evenly coat all blueberries. Spoon filling mixture into baking dish.
3. Whisk all-purpose flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in another mixing bowl. Use a pastry blender and mix in butter, cut butter until pea size.
4. Slowly add in milk and stir with a fork until dough forms. (May not need all milk)
5. Divide dough into 9 pieces and pat each piece into 3-inch disc shape. Distribute biscuit dough evenly on top of blueberry filling mixture.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until biscuits are brown on top and filling is bubbling.

Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!


f/3.2, 1/80, ISO 1600, +0.3EV

2 comments:

  1. I'm drooling looking your cobble... Nice to know that they are made with freshly picked blueberries.. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so amazing. I might even give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It