Sunday, July 31, 2011

Minestrone Soup

As I was making minestrone soup for dinner tonight, I began to think about how my life is very much like the soup itself. Cliche as it sounds, but hear me out.

First, my life can be as complicated as the number of ingredients that go into this soup. Onions, zucchini, carrots, tomato, leeks, and garlic are just a few things needed here.

f/4.5, 1/40, ISO 1600



Just as things in my life started to heat up and go my way, I added a few flavorful ingredients just to spice things up...not knowing what would turn out.

In this case, bay leaf, thyme, and garlic.

f/5, 1/15, ISO 1600


And I continued to add in more complicated things into my life.

Sometimes, I improvise just to see how things will go.

In minestrone soup language, I added in all the vegetables and substituted green beans with bell pepper.


f/5.3, 1/15, ISO 1600


While the things my life are cooking up, I realized I forgot something important. A minor ingredient, but very important in overall results of what I have been looking for.

f/5.36, 1/15, ISO 1600


Then I waited and stewed over the decisions and choices I made in life, hoping things will be alright.

f/4.5, 1/25, ISO 1600


On the other hand, I have other messes to tidy up.

f/4.5, 1/40, ISO 1600


Just when my patience was wearing me down, it all came together. The soup, my life. In the end, things worked out the way they should and I am happy with it. Oh and the soup turned out alright.

f/5.3, 1/20, ISO 1600

I guess I can say that life is like a pot of soup, you never know what you will get.



This recipe was adapted from "The Art of Simple Food" by Alice Waters
1 cup dried cannellini beans
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon of dried thyme (or 5 fresh thyme sprigs)
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons  salt
3 cups water
1 small leek, diced
1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
2 medium zucchini, cut into small dice
2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
3 cups bean cooking liquid (or water)
2 cup spinach leaves, coarsely chopped

Heat oil in soup pot, add in onion and carrots. Cook until tender then add in garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and salt. Cook for 5 minutes, add water and bring to boil. When boiling, add leek, green beans, zucchini, tomato. Cook for 15 minutes then add beans, bean liquid, and spinach. Cook for another 5 minutes, add more water as needed. Season with salt and pepper.

Enjoy your life, I mean minestrone soup.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It