Thursday, May 10, 2012

Peanut Butter Cookies

Growing up in Hong Kong and Taiwan, cookies were unseen in my house. Sure, we had "cookies" like rice crackers with seaweed on top and saltine crackers. My sister and I only got chocolate chip  and peanut butter cookies when our family friends brought us Mrs. Fields' cookies from the fancy boutique. Needless to say, chocolate chip and peanut butter did not exist in our house until when I was in high school when my sister got into baking. Don't feel like I missed out, I would give up chocolate chip cookie for life just to have dim sum and my Grandma's cooking whenever I want.




Today, chocolate chips (and anything chocolate-related) and peanut butter are staples in my pantry, and peanut butter cookies are the most requested dessert in my house.

f/4.5, 1/30, ISO 1600, + 0.3EV


I love that fragrant nutty smell of peanut butter. One of these days I am going to try making my own peanut butter.

f/2.5, 1/50, ISO 1600, + 0.3EV


I have always used the peanut butter cookie recipe from King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion (which is an awesome go-to cookbook), but today I tried the one from Magnolia Bakery Cookbook (from Smitten Kitchen). The chocolate chips just bring these cookies up a notch.

f/4, 1/30, ISO 1600, + 0.3EV


Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen and Magnolia Bakery Cookbook)

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup crunchy peanut butter at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, and the salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat the butter and the peanut butter together until fluffy. Add the sugars and beat until smooth. Add the egg and mix well. Add the milk and the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat thoroughly. Stir in the peanut butter and chocolate chips.
3. Drop by rounded tablepoonfuls onto cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion.
4. Using a fork, lightly indent with a crisss-cross pattern, but do not overly flatten cookies. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not overbake. Cookies may appear to be underdone, but they are not.


f/4, 1/40, ISO 1600, + 0.3EV



p.s. Anyone know why my cookies look green?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It