Wednesday, May 2, 2012

No-Bake Strawberry Pie

f/4.5, 1/30, ISO 1600, +0.3Ev


I took my last final exam ever on Monday, and now I am looking forward to the graduation ceremony on Sunday. With all this free time, I am not sure what to do with myself. I have been going on runs in the morning before the 80 plus temperature hits, then all I want to do is take naps. On the flip side, my sister and I are meeting up in New Orleans in a couple weeks. I already know I will be having beignet and seafood everyday. If you have any suggestions for places to visit or eat in New Orleans, let me know.

f/2.5, 1/60, ISO 1600, +0.3EV


I made some chocolate fudge cookies a couple weeks ago, they turned out to be a flop. I must have done something stupid while doubling the recipe. The cookies turned out to be great crust for this no-bake strawberry pie.

f/2.2, 1/60, ISO 1600, +0.3EV


It's strawberry season and I am loving it.

Last summer I found some strawberry plants growing in the apartment grounds from a neighbor's backyard. That day, Jake and I planned a secret mission. We paid a raccoon five dollars to dig up some of the plants. When I say raccoon, I mean we transplanted some strawberry plants from the neighbor's backyard into our pot. It was quite an operation. Those strawberry plants are now in a hanging pot, producing even more strawberries this year. There growing on apartment compound, so I would say no crime was committed here.

f/2.2, 1/60, ISO 1600, +0.3EV


I wish I had a problem with strawberry growing out-of-control. I can only imagine the number of pies and jams I could make.

This pie was easy to make and perfect for hot days like today.


f/3.2, 1/100, ISO 1600, +0.3EV

No-Bake Strawberry Pie
(Recipe adapted from Whole Foods Market)

A dozen of cookies (gingersnaps, graham crackers, or chocolate cookies would work well)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 pounds strawberries, hulled and halved one pound and sliced half pound
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup cornstarch
Whipped cream

1. Pulse cookies in a food processor until finely grounded, about 1 and 3/4 cups crumbs. Add butter and pulse again until completely blended. Transfer to a 9-inch pie pan and press evenly into the bottom and sides. Chill in refrigerator while preparing filling.

2. Put 1 pound of strawberries into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped and juicy. Transfer to a small sauce pan. Add sugar, water, and cornstarch, stir to combine. Bring content to boil, stirring often, until very thick and glossy, about 4 minutes. Set aside to let cool.

3. Arrange the sliced strawberries over crust, pour strawberry mixture over the top and smooth out to ensure it fills in the space between berry slices. Chill until set, 1 to 2 hours, top with whipped cream, enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It