Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Blue Snow

Ever notice how quiet when it's snowing out?

I took these pictures at 7:00am this morning.
The cloudy white balance effect gave a cool, icy, and blue effect.


f/10, 1/30, ISO 2000


I have been reading The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby. The author doesn't get into the technical stuff of photography, instead he focuses on what a photographer should think in terms of his/her subjects.

I learned this about taking landscape pictures: Do not put the horizon in the middle of the frame. Think about what you want to capture first.

For example, the horizon of first picture below is slightly higher (the horizon being the top of the roof), hence more of the parking lot and apartment buildings are shown. The focus here is the snow on apartments and the tree.


f/11, 1/30, ISO 2200


Next, if I want the focus to be the cloudy sky and the line of trees behind the apartment building, then I lower the horizon line. More of the sky is captured in this picture, which then shifts the focus.


f/11, 1/30, ISO 1600


Get it? Simple enough.

 
This picture was taken an hour later with more light but still in cloudy setting. I tried to capture the snowflakes by setting at shutter speed priority. I probably need a zoom lens in order to see individual snowflakes.

f/4, 1/2000, ISO 2000



Recently I became obsessed with Pinterest. I love the beautiful pictures and how I am able to browse for things that I wish were mine. Follow me on Pinterest by clicking on the icon on the left. Maybe one day my pictures will become someone's "pins".

Happy Wednesday!


p.s. I entered Lola into the World Spay Day Photo Contest. Click on her picture on the left to vote for her!

1 comment:

Pin It