Thursday, March 22, 2012

Gardening 2012

f/2.8, 1/320, ISO 200



I absolutely love the wide aperture function and the ability to capture subjects in low light with the 35mm f/1.8 lens, but I am still having some problems getting up close. Thank goodness for those photo pros and geeks at Flickr that I am able to get to the bottom of this.

It turns out, there is a thing called minimum focus distance (great and simple explanation at Nikon.com). This means the shortest distance at which the lens can focus on, starting from the camera body to the subject. The thing with prime lens (i.e. no zoom) is that I have to move around to get my subject in frame and in focus. One suggestion I got from some expert on Flickr is that I should try manual focus instead of auto. Eh. So I spent the afternoon mastering manual focus.

Cherry tomato seedling here.

f/1.8, 1/100, ISO 200



Thanks to the warm spring, I planted the vegetable seeds last week. The beans and herbs I started almost a month ago, pretty soon I will have some strawberries.

f/2.8, 1/125, ISO 200



Rosemary

f/2.2, 1/60, ISO 200


Lavender
f/2, 1/250, ISO 200


This would be my second year gardening with containers. I have not only learned how to minimize soil spillage on to my neighbor below, but also how to produce vegetable efficiently in my small balcony. My unique vegetable of this year is tomatillo, though I am having trouble finding the seeds. Till then, I will keep photographing these seedlings with manual focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It