Friday, March 2, 2012

All American Apple Pie

f/2.2, 1/30, ISO 450, +0.3EV
 

I submitted my dietetic internship application about a month ago, it has been a long waiting game. While I am awaiting for interview opportunities, I am also thinking the what-ifs. The half-marathon training helps me think of the positives, that someday I can achieve my goals. Cliche, but true. Last Sunday I ran the entire race course, along the beautiful Bluegrass country roads and horse farms. I was pretty proud of myself for finishing the entire course of rolling hills. However, I did not enjoy the sore quads followed by few days later.


f/3.2, 1/30, ISO 400


 
Last week I got a bag of granny smiths at the grocery store. I feel like bags of apples could be hit or miss, and this time it was a miss. I used the apples to make an all American apple pie. I found this magical, flaky, and rich pie crust recipe from Cook's Illustrated.

Note to self: cut the butter more next time!

f/2.8, 1/60, ISO 400




f/2.8, 1/30, ISO 450




f/2.8, 1/30, ISO 450, +0.3EV


 The pie tastes like Heaven.

Apple Pie Filling
2 to 3 lbs green apples (or other tart apples), core and slice to 1/4 inch thickness, cut the slices in halves.
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Let mixture sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes. Prepare bottom pie crust in a 9-in pie pan and pour apple mixture in. Cover mixture with the top pie crust (lattice, whole piece, or which ever design; make sure to cut openings for steam to escape through). Bake at 425 degrees for 45-55 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream.


f/2.2, 1/30, ISO 400, +0.3EV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It