Thursday, December 15, 2011

Rum Ball

I am finally done with the semester! Woot! Woot!

To "celebrate" my completion of the semester, I spent the whole day yesterday in the kitchen making yummy food. I made pasta salad for my good friend's holiday get-together and for another potluck today. During Christmas I give almond toffee in tin boxes to families and friends, and I started the process yesterday. I will write a post about it later. Finally, I made rum balls. I first had them at Jake's parents' house a few years ago and I did not like them at all. It is Jake's favorite Christmas treat, so I decided to give it a try.


Meet the cast of rum ball, starring cocoa powder, vanilla wafers, rum, powdered sugar (aka confectioners sugar), pecan, and honey.

f/6.3, 1/40, ISO 1600



Crush about 70-75 wafers to get 2.5 cups of crumbs.

f/6.3, 1/20, ISO 1600



You need 1 cup ground pecans.

f/6.3, 1/13, ISO 1600



Mix the crushed wafers, ground pecans, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder together.

f/5.6, 1/30, ISO 1600


In a separate bowl, combine rum, honey, and water; stir into crumb mixture.
By the way, this honey-rum mix is pretty tasty. It may be my new drink now, so long rum and coke from college days.

f/5.6, 1/30, ISO 1600


Form 1-inch balls and role in additional powdered sugar.
Ever wonder why they call it confectioners sugar?
I googled it and could not fine an answer.
Confectioner is one who sells sweets, so does this mean powered sugar is a candy-salesman's sugar?

f/5.6, 1/60, ISO 1600


Ta-Da! No baking needed.

f/5.6, 1/80, ISO 1600


 Let's just say the honey-rum mix won me over. I now like rum ball.
These rum balls also make a great Christmas gift.



f/5.6, 1/60, ISO 1600



Rum Balls

(Recipe from Taste of Home)
2.5 cups crushed vanilla wafer
1 cup ground pecans
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoon of baking cocoa
1/4 cup rum
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons water
Additional powdered sugar

Combine wafer crumbs, pecans, powdered sugar, and cocoa. Combine rum, honey, and water; stir into crumb mixture.
Shape into 1-inch ball and roll in powered sugar.
Yield 3.5 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It